Friday, November 30, 2007

Explanation

I think that people need to widen their influences, particularly in a social context. You shouldn't become the person you're closest to out of covenience. The only reason you should adopt the characteristics of another person should be to improve yourself as a person. Individuality isn't overated and complicated, it's underused and simple. On another note, I don't agree with the theory that Atheism encourages the development of amoral pretentious intellectuals who sneer with disdain at the possibility of being wrong. Having going through this stage myself I can honestly say that the arrogance of independence is no more then a stage of maturity. Being filled with pride is far easier to manage then being consistently humble, so people often decide to live by the former. I also have a great deal of respect for the 'faithful', deists, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.... Having faith is an admirable accomplishment in my eyes, even if I don't subscribe to their lifestyle of hopeful dedication in this life. The more honest I am with myself the more I tend to realize that I would love to have the comfort security and inspiration of a God. Or even just the knowledge that their is an otherworldly being that loves my for all that I am, regardless of my faults, deliberately made or otherwise. But the overwhelming need for logic and order in my mind displaces that possibility. My borderline compulsive need for proof of anything that is not tangible and explicitly clear to my senses is simulataneously a helpful tool for analysis and maddeningly repetitive. Despite wishing that there were a god of some sort, I have also come to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be able to live under rules dictated by such a being anyway(10 commandments, 5 pillars etc) So, if the Judeo-Christian God exists then I will be commited to eternal torment for my lifestyle and choices. Assuming that there is nothing spiritual beyond this life I will cease to exist upon dying. It's just a matter of determining whether existing in pain for eternity or not existing at all worse. I wonder if this existential dilemna plagues the faitful........

1 comment:

jm! said...

i think its interesting how part of this points to personality as a decisive factor in the religious beliefs we tend to adopt. you say that a need for logic, order, and tangible explanation displaces the idea in your mind of the possibility of a higher power. if i think about my own individual experience, its the things that are random, and don't have any tangible explanation that give me a sense of spirituality. personally, spirituality explains in a more concrete way my connection to these otherwise random feelings and things..